Monday, October 31, 2016

"October 17th"



Aloha!

I guess I forgot to send this email a few weeks ago. haha.  Here you go!

This week was transfer week.  I spent my last few days with Sister Walker.  So sad.  But, we are both excited about our new assignments.  We were split up so that we could both train two new Sister Training Leaders.  We have two now because of the increase we have had in the number of Sisters.  The work load has increased at the Laie Hawaii Temple Visitors' Center and we are trying to keep up.  Recently our compliment of Sisters went from 28 to 38.  Pretty amazing.

Now that I am in the BYU-Hawaii wards the work has slowed down a bit, but not for long.  We are working with our Ward Mission Leaders and other Ward leaders to get the excitement going for missionary work.  I love it!  I did need a little reminder about the lesson I learned last week - Moses 4:1 - about how our work should be according to God's will and not our own.  Good reminder for me.  Still, I am excited to God's will in this area whatever it may be.

Also, God did send me a little encouragement when the work wasn't getting started as quickly as I would have liked it to.   He answered my prayers in a small way by sending us a member who is struggling and wants to relearn the missionary lessons. Miracles happen!  I am excited to help her remember the simple truths of the gospel of Jesus Christ.

Miracle moment!  We had someone come on chat this last week that had briefly met the Elders in his local area. They invited him to go to church, but he was not sure.  We talked through it with him and testified of the blessings that can come from attending church.  He agreed to go!  We sent his information that night to the Elders who had contacted him previously.  I love when online missionaries and missionaries in a proselyting area get to work together!  It is just for one person, but it is so happy!

I have been thinking a lot about the Atonement of Jesus Christ.  It is the means by which all good things are possible.  The Atonement is the act by which Jesus Christ willingly suffered the penalty for our sins and died on the cross.  It also includes when He rose again as a perfect being.  One of the scriptures I studied this week really stood out to me.  The prophet Alma challenged a group of people to plant the word of God in their hearts.  He said, 

"And now, my brethren, I desire that ye shall plant this word in your hearts, and as it beginneth to swell even so nourish it by your faith. And behold, it will become a tree, springing up in you unto everlasting life. And then may God grant unto you that your burdens may be light, through the joy of his Son. And even all this can ye do if ye will. Amen." 

I love this!  

"all this" - have lasting happiness, be free of guilt, be healed spiritually, have peace of mind etc.
"can ye do" - it is possible through Jesus Christ
"if ye will" - it us up to me and my choice to follow Him

I know that God lives.  Jesus Christ truly did suffer for all the pain, sorrow, and guilt that we woud ever feel.  We don't have to feel that way.  Of course, this life is meant to be full of opposition or else we would not be able to grow, but I know that what our dear prophet, Thomas S. Monson said is true... "When we keep the commandments our lives will be happier, less complicated, and more fulfilling.  Our challenges and problems will be easier to bear and we will receive [God's] promised blessings."

I love you all!  Pray for someone you an reach out to this week.  I promise you God will answer your prayer.  There are a lot of people in this world to help and love and He needs you on His side.

Aloha!

Sister Lindsay Evans

Photo 1 - The Temple Visitors' Center Director and his wife.  We work with them often.  We are best friends and even better, we became friends in the service of God and others.


 Photo 2 - This is ward camp for the Laie 4th Ward.  Ward camp in Laie is camp like no other.   Everyone basically moves their houses to the beach [which is 2 minutes away] for a week. This week is filled with devotionals, dinners, and family activities.  It's not a great picture, but you have to understand there is a huge eating area and tons of tents set up that you can't see.  People even bring TVs and beds.  It is a pretty big deal.  We got the chance to go one of the dinners and fellowship with some members of the ward.

 Photo 3 - My new companion, Sister Wu!  She is a Chinese speaker (Mandarin).  She was born in mainland China, but moved to Canada when she was seven years old.  She is so positive and upbeat.  I am hoping her wonderful characteristics will rub off on me.  Love her already!

No comments:

Post a Comment