Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Do You Want to be Happy?

Aloha!!


I realized that last week I didn't tell you what was happening for transfers.  I am staying with Sister Walker for the 4th transfer.  If we split next transfer we still will have spent 7 months of our mission together including the MTC! I must need her wonderful example.  I learn a lot from her about how to be exactly obedient, to please God first.  We are both STLs again in the Laie Zone and will be going on another 10 exchanges with the Sisters this transfer.

The one change that did come with transfers is that I am now in a family ward again - Laie 4th Ward.  To be honest it is a little funny for me because for the past 10 months I have served in YSA and Married Student Stakes.  I really like it though because there are so many different kinds of people.  As I sat in sacrament meeting last week I was able to see them through God's eyes - so different and unique, but all loved by a perfect Father in Heaven.  We are so blessed to be different and the same all at the same time.

Fun Fact - We had a Red Cross training this last week with our whole mission (It was a conference call).  They wanted to prepare us to be able to volunteer at shelters in the case of an emergency relating to the two hurricanes that passed us.  It was neat. They passed us though luckily and we hardly got any rain in Laie.  Good to be prepared.

Funny Moment - In church everyone always starts with "Aloha Brothers and Sisters..."  This last week this 5 year old got up to bear his testimony. He confidently stood (on a stool) at the pulpit and said, "Aloha boys and girls!" He continued, "We know that God made us special . . . We love God and we know that that God loves us too."  So precious!

My favorite insight of the week came through a quote by President Hinckley in Preach My Gospel.  It says,
“Do you want to be happy? Forget yourself and get lost in this great cause. Lend your efforts to helping people. Stand higher, lift those with feeble knees, hold up the arms of those that hang down. Live the gospel of Jesus Christ.
Living the gospel of Jesus Christ is faith, hope, and charity in action.  It is the pure love of Christ for others and selfless service.  If anyone thinks missionary work is only for missionaries, think again!  We can all do a little better to invite members and nonmembers alike to come closer to their Savior and to get to know Him personally.  I am so grateful for the Savior in my life and for all the times He has strengthened me.  I know that He loves us and is proud of us. We don't have to be anything more than we are now to be worthy of His love, but we are guaranteed to feel it in greater abundance as we continuously repent and hearken to His teachings.
You are all wonderful and I know that God is aware of you wherever or whoever you are. He cares for you and is reaching out to you this very day.
Have a wonderful week! Aloha!
- Sister Lindsay Evans

Photo 1 - Pouring rain a few weeks ago in Laie. 
 Photo 2 - BYUH Taxidermy... or so it seems...
 Photo 3 - What serving a mission in Hawaii is really like.
 We took pictures all around today.


No comments:

Post a Comment