Monday, February 1, 2016

A Jam Packed Week

Aloha!!

It was a jam-packed week and I can't wait to tell all of you about it. 

First of all, Happy Birthday to my Mom and Dad!  They have done more for me than any two people I know.  They have taught me by example to love, to work hard, and to serve.  They truly are dedicated disciples of Jesus Christ to me. Thank you Mom/Dad!

We had fun looking for members of our ward in a town next to La'ie called Hau'ula.  We prayed in the morning to find anyone that needed our message.  We were looking for a certain house number, but it was a little difficult.  Hawaiian housing isn't exactly... organized. So we came to one house and knocked on 3 different doors. No answer. For whatever reason [the Holy Spirit] we knocked on the last door which required going up some sketchy stair to the 2nd story.  There we found sweet Helen from our ward who was surprised to see us, but kindly invited us in.  We shared our message and came to find out that she was thinking about serving a mission, but as usual, the adversary had been very discouraging. I was blessed enough to share my experience with her about coming out on a mission. It was scary! But we told her of God's love for her, and that she would be able to do anything with His help.  I remember saying, "If our Father in Heaven was here he would have told you the same thing... He loves you."  In a way it is a bold statement, but as as a set apart representative of Jesus Christ I know that what I said to her was true. I am glad that God lead us to her just when she needed it.

We also had our last lesson with our good friends Vickie and Kekoa this week.  We have all learned so much from discussing gospel truths with each other.  It was our last lesson because they are moving. I will miss them dearly, but most certainly see them again. 

Okay here is the big one...
On Saturday all of the missionaries on Oahu had the privilege of hearing Elder Jeffery R. Holland of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles speak to us.  It was simply amazing.  He was so much funnier than I think we all expected too.  He pretended at the beginning that he was here to "Scare the living daylights out of you!" and pretended to strangle this VC Sister who has only been out for two days!! AH!  "The color will return," he laughed later. 
Also, before he started speaking, Sister Walker and I had the privilege to sing I Know That My Redeemer Lives. Sister Yamamoto accompanied us on the piano. Sister Weygandt who I trained accompanied us on the violin.  The Spirit was there and I was so thankful to have been a part of the meeting.
As far as the messages that he truly taught us, one of the most memorable was his message about when we return home from our missions.  He pleaded with us to use our time well and not to go back to real life.  With his voice raised a bit he said, "Look you get it straight.  This is the closest you will ever get to Real Life. Capital R. Capital L."  I know that what he said was true and our time here on a mission is SO important.  I would not trade this for anything. He continued, "[When you get home] you can't walk away from that," and with greater sound and enunciation said, "You do not have the right to do that."  I pray that all the return missionaries will stay the course as well as progress.  I want to live my mission so that I will do the same.
The other thing was his wonderful insights on the Book of Mormon.  He said, "The Book of Mormon is 532 pages in English of revelation and that God speaks to man."  To fully understand his message to us, read 1 Nephi 1:1-14.  Is it not the Joseph Smith story?  Is it not the story of all the prophets from the beginning of time?  I hope you will all enjoy studying that. I know I have even though I am only beginning.

Church was amazing yesterday.  I am really enjoying the sacrament.  It is a sacred time of personal, spiritual renewal for me whenever I allow it to be.  I most definitely need it. 

Brothers and Sisters I know that God lives. He is our literal Father. He knows and loves us.  That is exactly why He sent His Son, Jesus Christ.  I will be forever thankful for their sacrifice for us. May we all learn and keep our covenant or promises with God.  I know they will bless our lives here and forever. That makes me smile.

All my love and aloha,
Sister Lindsay Evans


Photo 1 - "The first [Jesus Christ] came and stood before my father [Lehi], and gave unto him a book, and bade him that he should read. And it came to pass that as he read, he was filled with the Spirit of the Lord."  1 Nephi 1:11-12

No comments:

Post a Comment