Monday, July 27, 2015

A Wonderful, Wonderful Week

This week has been AMAZING. That is not to say that it hasn't come without trials, but the blessings mean so much more.

Funny stories first...

A few weeks ago we were knocking doors near our house. We walked into a yard that and saw a guard dog sign, but no guard dog in this completely open yard. So of course, without thinking I decide to say, "Here guard doggy doggy doggy.." [I can't tell you why..] and this dog starts barking super loud from the inside [thank goodness] of this big cage. Needless to say we jumped, laughed, and got out of there pretty quick. Anyway...

Longer [but wonderful] story...

Perhaps the greatest part of the week was a lesson with one of our progressing investigators. The only thing is that we couldn't get him to commit to a baptism date and I had no idea why. He just kept saying he wanted to take things slow. SO... we prayed and prayed and prayed and finally had a lesson with him. When we did, every little scripture and thought we were going to share with him flew right out the window. That was NOT what we were supposed to share with him, but God recognized out preparation and guided us with His spirit throughout the rest of the lesson. 

How did it go? Well we both shared scriptures and thoughts and asked inspired questions.  It flowed so smoothly that I was in awe the entire time. Towards the end of the lesson I saw my companions planner in her lap open to the page that has the baptismal interview questions. I thought, "YES. This is exactly what needs to happen." [which was funny because I had no clue what was going to happen]. He read the questions and said they were simple, but important. All along he just wanted to be confident in his faith before being baptized! So cool! Now we are going through each question with him and when we are done, he will be baptized!!

We testified of God's love for him and also told him about the plans being changed. The spirit was so present and obvious. He even smiled and said, "My hands are shaking." After the closing prayer he said, "I could feel the spirit," with a big smile. "I think we all could!" I said. We had a little laugh about that. When my companion and I got in the car we just screamed as we drove away for I-don't-know-how-long.  This was the happiest lesson ever. God knows His children by name. 

A Spiritual Sunday...

You'd never guess who came to my ward. He was on vacation with his family and we greeted him and shook his hand as he walked into chapel [just like we greet everyone]. 

It was Elder Neil L. Andersen!! 

He and his wife were nice enough to talk to us too! And guess what they talked about? 1) Elder Packer and Elder Perry 2) Sabbath day observance. He said that this has been a big focus of discussions with the apostles and first presidency. He warned that in future years, the world will try to creep into the church as well as into our families.  This is one essential commandment that we must follow. Remember the Sabbath day and keep it holy. One of the scriptures he said is talked about a lot is...

D&C 59:9-10 
"And that thou mayest more fully keep thyself unspotted from the world, thou shalt go
 to the house of prayer and offer up thy sacraments upon my holy day; For verily this is 
 day appointed unto you to rest from your labors, and to pay thy devotions unto the  
Most High;"

How can YOU have better Sabbath day observance? 

I love you all! God knows and loves His children. There are blessings awaiting us it we, but turn our will over to His. 

-Sister Lindsay Evans


Photo 1 - Sister Penales and I after our amazing lesson. This is exactly how we felt. :)



Photo 2 - It gets really hot here some days...


Photo 3 - My first exchange with an amazing sister who cooked for me for every meal!!


No comments:

Post a Comment